Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Chapter Four: Artist Contrast 2

Also featured in Chapter Four: Visual Elements, is the painting titled "Chanter" by Emmi Whitehorse. This painting is done in oil on paper and I would like to say that it is abstract. What draws me to this painting is that it is primarily monochromatic -blue- except for the splash of purplish red that defines the shape of a house. This painting despite being very different reminds me of another monochromatic painting depicted in this chapter. THat other painting is none other than "In Bed" By Inka Essanhigh and (Surprise!) it is all blue too.

As far as their similarities go... Despite being created in two entirely different styles (Emmi Whitehorse drawing her inspiration from Navajo art and Inka Essanhigh's more surreal style) both paintings make me get a very similar vibe. I believe this is primarily due tot he fact that both paintings are done in blue. Too me it lends both paintings a mystifying and dream-like quality.

Both artists used their choice of color well when composing their painting and the paintings themselves both seem to hint at something deeper than just on a level of “reality”. An example of this in “In Bed” Is the figures that are pulling at the sleeping woman, misshaping and distorting her image in the painting.

As far as I can tell, I cannot find so much of a narrative in “Chanter” But I still believe it is beautiful in its own right and the symbols and shapes in the painting are just as mysterious as the spirits in “In Bed”.

No comments:

Post a Comment