Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lecture Analysis: Performance Art

This week in class we went over the different art periods.
In example from 1916-1922 after World War I The common thought amongst artists. This was Dadaism where the common thought was that the world was insane and that chaos should rule. During this period, not surprisingly, things such as reason, logic, and futurism were rejected.
There was also a time after World War II from 1945 to 1980 where there was and influx of random chance.

Also discussed in class was performance art and how it is a type of art that is highly unmarketable. It is an art type that is not about selling or prints.
Primarily we focused on one performance artist in particular: Marina Abramovic.

I will say that, in all honesty, I am not a fan of performance art. To me I find that its more about making a statement, point, study, or proving something rather than about art (Which I believe involves in something being created). That being said, I still respect the people who do performance Art, such as Marina Abramovic, because as she said, she challenged both herself and her fears which is something I believe people as a whole need to grow more accustomed to doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment