Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What is Beauty?

Similar to one of the first questions we were asked, "What is Art?", beauty is something that cannot be defined by one simple definition. Different people choose to see different aspects as different things. I would like to say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but only because we were begged not to. In truth, its both very similar and very different to this.

In truth, beauty exists on different levels, many of which contradict each other. In example There is Physical beauty, emotional beauty, Inner beauty (people), there is beauty in a story or concept, and beauty in the way a well told lie or deception is thought out, and beauty in music.

Using these layers it is easy to imagine something that is both beautiful and hideous, like a painting with beautiful composition and painted perfectly but has a gruesome subject matter, or the reverse, a painting that, visually isn't as "pretty" But has a deep, beautiful meaning or emotional pull.

I personally, like the vain individual I am, find myself focusing most on physical beauty, how colors and shapes appeal to the eye and overall balance. I can appreciate beauty elsewhere but it is not what jumps out at me first.
That being said, I find beauty (particularly in art) in the intricate details and textures. I believe it is because of this that I tend to dislike bright colors more as it distracts my eyes from the intricacy that I so love.

No comments:

Post a Comment